down home inspiration



God made me for a reason and nothing is in vain. Redemption comes in many shapes with many kinds of pain. Oh sweet Jesus if you're listening,
keep me ever close to you, As I'm stumblin', tumblin', wonderin', as I'm travelin' thru. -Dolly Parton

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

beware of the moving T R A I N

Well, my first subway story was downright terrible, and my second was so delightfully sweet. This one is just weird, and maybe hilarious.

Recently, I was running late to work and when I miss my 8:55 train, then I have to take the 9:00 train. The 9 am train is always more crowded!! So its standing room only. I'm perched at the back of the train leaning on the pole, juggling my iced coffee, iPod, and Metro newspaper. Not only did I not want to stand, but I was really disappointed because doing the paper's crossword and sudoku standing up is out of the question. Three stops into my ride a seat opens up. The train hadn't stopped yet, but a man stood up a little early to be the first at the door, and the first off the train.

There are different kind of spots on the subway bench, even though all the benches are the same. The first spot is the "anorexic model" spot. If you aren't a four year old, you're not going to be able to squeeze in there. The second is the "body odor" spot. This is equally undesirable because the person before you most definitely was stinky, and even though they are gone, their odor is not! The third spot is the truly amazing one. I know what you are thinking. Save the best for last! Its the "business man" spot. This is the professional, dad type man who's in a suit and, preferable a little hefty. This is the spot that when you sit down, you don't have to rub elbows with your neighbor.

So, the business man stepped up from his spot and cautiously moved towards the door. I see this spot and know that I have to sit there. These kind of spots don't just pop up all time, and if you really want something, you go for it! So with iced coffee and crossword in hand, I move toward the open seat. Just as I turn to sit down, the train comes to a screeching hault! This catapults me into the lap of the man sitting in the seat next to mine!!

E M B A R R A S S I N G ! !

For real??!!

Yes this is real.  I'm now in the lap of a European man my dad's age. I then, awkwardly, slide into the right slip where I had intended to sit. He immediately and abruptly jumped off the train.

I'll never know if that was his stop.

1 comment: