down home inspiration



God made me for a reason and nothing is in vain. Redemption comes in many shapes with many kinds of pain. Oh sweet Jesus if you're listening,
keep me ever close to you, As I'm stumblin', tumblin', wonderin', as I'm travelin' thru. -Dolly Parton

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

children

In October, I was approached in Union Square by a somewhat interesting character who was selling sponsorships for Children International. I was reluctant to A) Give out my credit card to a stranger on the street and B) commit myself, and my checking account, to a weekly payment of 22 dollars a month. However, Gina encouraged me that she had adopted a child and loves the experience so I gave in. "What the heck," I thought. "If it doesn't work out, or I get to a point where I can't afford it, I can cancel at any time.

I now must tell you how embarrassed I am of my skepticism. My adopted boy Diego lives in Guayaquil, Equador. In the first two weeks I was sent a profile of his familiy life, his hobbies and interests, and his picture. That's the catch right there. That picture has been framed on my bedside table since I recieved it. He is ten years old, and quite the faithful pen pal. I have included below a copy of one of the letters and pictures he has sent me. He is such a sweet person, and though I have never met him in person, I am gaining so much more out of this experience than the $22 a month that I am contributing. I encourage you, if you feel so moved to get involved with this organization. I believe they are changing lives.
Also, read their blog for updates on children, what they offer, and to get involved!

No comments:

Post a Comment