down home inspiration



God made me for a reason and nothing is in vain. Redemption comes in many shapes with many kinds of pain. Oh sweet Jesus if you're listening,
keep me ever close to you, As I'm stumblin', tumblin', wonderin', as I'm travelin' thru. -Dolly Parton

Sunday, March 7, 2010

HIGH LINE

In 1847 New York authorized street level trains down Manhattan's west side.
In the 1930's the railway was actually put into construction.


In 2001 The Design Trust for Public Space provides a fellowship for architect Casey Jones to conduct research and outreach for "Reclaiming the High Line," a planning study jointly produced by the Design Trust and Friends of the High Line, which lays out planning framework for the High Line's preservation and reuse.

Basically, over time the High Line train became somewhat obsolete and bit by bit was shut down. So in 2008, they started design plans for a park to re-invent the High Line. My friend Alex told me about the High Line at work yesterday. I said to him, "I feel like turning an old railway line into a park is such a 'New York thing to do' ". He has lived in New York for many years and I consider him somewhat of an expert on the city in general. His reply was simple but somewhat profound to me: "That is something that New York and New Yorkers are known for. We are always re-inventing ourselves." Cool huh?

recent photos of the high line
source- thehighline

learn more at their blog
So, considering that it is the first time NYC has seen 50 degrees since I've been here, I W I L L be outside today. I have a feeling there will be much inspiration found today at the high line. Stay tuned for my findings!!

No comments:

Post a Comment